Sure, a sculpted six-pack may look undeniably amazing in a swimsuit, but the benefits of a strong core extend way past your annual vacation to the beach.
Your core is composed of an essential muscle group -- it’s your most powerful asset, your center of gravity, and it’s involved in almost every single movement you make.
That said, you don’t need to fight traffic to get to your local gym in order to work your core. In fact, with HYGEAR’s GEAR 1 -- an innovative total body resistance training system — you can do core workouts just about anywhere!
Not sure where to start? We can help! Read on to learn about some of the best core workouts to build the strong, sexy core of your dreams.
Are you ready?
Grab your water and a sweat towel -- let’s dive in.
But First, What Muscles Make Up The Core?
Think your core only refers to the area below and above your belly button or that it’s synonymous with “abs”? Think again! Your core is made up of multiple different muscle groups, including:
- Rectus Abdominis: The abdominals that run vertically along your midline (a.k.a. Your “six-pack”).
- Transverse Abdominis: The deepest muscular layer that runs between the ribs and the pelvis, horizontally from front to back.
- External and Internal Obliques: These muscles run along both sides of the abdomen to help flex and compress your torso.
- Multifidus: The group of muscles that run between the vertebrae in your spine, providing extension and rotating to each spinal segment.
- Erector Spinae: These are the muscles that surround your spine to aid in stabilization.
- Diaphragm: Responsible for every single breath that you take.
- Pelvic Floor Muscles: These are important muscles that provide support for the organs in the pelvis.
- Glute Muscles: Your Maximus, medius, and minimus contribute to stability and balance and move your legs away from your body. The gluteus maximus is responsible for much of the power and strength in your lower body.
- Latissimus Dorsi: Otherwise known as your “lats” (aka pull-up muscles), the latissimus dorsi runs the length of your back from just below your shoulder blades down to your hip bones.
As you can see, your core definitely comprises much more than just abs! Visible abs don’t always equate to a strong core, despite what many people may think.
You see, having visible abs just means your body fat percentage is low enough to show the muscle fibers beneath subcutaneous fat. You can, without a doubt, have excellent core strength without having visible abs.
OK -- So Why Is Core Strength So Important Anyway?
Simply put, you can’t have a sturdy building without a strong foundation first. A strong core creates the power you need to swing a baseball bat, hit a tennis ball, throw a football, sweep the floor, clean out the garage, pick up a toddler, plus a million other movements.
While many people believe a strong core is all about having a flat, sculpted stomach to show off at the beach -- the benefits go way past that. A strong core can help to:
- Prevent injury
- Increase balance
- Improve posture
- Improve overall strength and stability
- Improve breathing
- Prevent lower back pain
- Improve performance
- Build self-confidence
Core Exercises You Can Do Anywhere
Ready to build a strong core? Great -- we are so excited for you! While there are many different ways to build muscle, GEAR 1 from HYGEAR is a great way to really work the core. What’s GEAR 1, you ask? Only the best resistance training system on the planet! This innovative total workout system is all you need to build a strong midsection -- no pricey gym membership or personal training sessions required.
Oh, and the best part? You can use GEAR 1 anywhere. Yup, you read that right — anywhere. Simply toss the lightweight system in a gym bag for on-the-go workouts or pack it in your briefcase to torch some calories on your lunch break at work. The possibilities are endless.
So, without further ado, here are a few of the best core exercises you can do anywhere:
- Begin by mounting your GEAR 1 using the door anchor at the top of a sturdy door frame.
- Attach the handle to one of the bands.
- Standing with your side to the anchor point, grab the handle with both hands.
- Make sure that the band is straightened out before pulling the band down to your knee that is furthest away from the door. Your knees should be slightly bent as you do this.
- Return to the starting position, then repeat the movement for the desired number of reps.
- Turn around and complete the exercise on the other side of the body.
- Begin by mounting your GEAR 1 using the door anchor at the middle of the door, above the lock, or anchor to a secure object at mid-level.
- Stand with your back to the anchor and hold the handles at your shoulders.
- Bend over, hinging at the hips. Bring your shoulders forward and crunch in.
- Return to standing and repeat for the desired number of reps.
- Begin by mounting your GEAR 1 using the door anchor at the bottom of a sturdy door frame.
- Slap on the ankle straps to your ankles, connected to both GEAR 1 bands.
- Begin in a high plank position facing away from the door.
- Bring one knee at a time in towards your chest for the desired number of reps.
- Begin by mounting your GEAR 1 using the door anchor at mid-level, above the lock of a sturdy door frame.
- Attach a handle to a single GEAR 1 band.
- Get down into a crunch position facing away from the door, grab the handle with both hands, with arms extended above your chest.
- While keeping both of your feet on the ground, knees bent and open, take a deep breath and push the handle between your knees, lifting your shoulders and head off the ground.
- Return to the original position and repeat.
A Final Word
There you have it, ladies and gents -- the best core workout you can do anywhere!
Gone are the days of having to drop your entire week’s paycheck on a gym membership and personal training sessions to achieve incredible results. With GEAR 1 from HYGEAR, you can build the sleek, sexy midsection of your dreams -- all from the comfort of your very own home.
Are you ready to reach your fitness goals? Check out GEAR 1 today!